Welcome to our Press Room. Requests for interviews, quotes, or press statements may be directed to Executive Director Audacia Ray – email@example.com or 347-927-3867.
Students, researchers, and documentarians looking for a commitment of an interview or other input that will take more than 15 minutes of time, please read this page before reaching out.
Red Umbrella Project in the News
- Sex Trafficking Victims, Not ‘Prostitutes,’ Finally Getting Help (and a New Name) in Court – The Daily Beast, published January 12, 2015
- Special Prostitution Courts and the Myth of Rescuing Sex Workers – VICE, published January 5, 2015
- Are New York’s Sex Workers Getting Their Fair Day in Court? – The Nation, published October 6, 2014
- Human Trafficking Courts Accused of Bias - Courthouse News Service, published October 3, 2014
- New York City’s Human Trafficking Intervention Courts – featured segment on WBAI’s Morning Show, aired on October 2, 2014
- Flawed justice for sex workers – NY Daily News, published October 1, 2014
- Black Women Profiled as Prostitutes in NYC – Reason, published October 1, 2014
- Why Are New York Courts Lumping in Sex Workers With the Victims of Human Trafficking? – Village Voice, published October 1, 2014
- Not Everyone Is Happy with the NY Courts Treating Sex Workers as Trafficking Victims – Vice News, published October 1, 2014
- NYPD Limits Use of Condoms Seized from Sex Workers as Evidence – article about NYPD’s new policy in the LA Times and featuring quotes from RedUP’s community organizer Emma Caterine, published May 13. 2014
- New Magazine Focuses on True Stories About Sex Work – review of Prose & Lore on The Review Review, published April 2014
- Sex Workers Lift Veil on Their Experiences With Collection of Memoirs – a piece on DNAinfo about the new issue of our literary journal.
- Red Umbrella Providing a Voice to Those Unheard – a piece about our creative programming on neighborhood blog Downtown Brooklyn
- A Former Sex Worker Tells Her Story – a piece focusing on our latest reading event and third issue of our literary journal, featuring April and Dominick.
- Sex Industry Storytelling Brings Relief – Uptown Radio piece recorded at February 10, 2014 reading at BCPC, featuring Barbara and Leigh.
- Project of the Day: 7 Sex Workers in The Red Umbrella Diaries, IndieWire, October 29, 2013. Profile of our feature documentary, which is currently in production, written during our successful Kickstarter fundraising campaign.
- Sex Workers Tell Tricks of the Trade, ABC News, July 12, 2013. Feature article about RedUP’s storytelling work, centered around the release of Issue 2 of our literary journal Prose & Lore.
- Bitch In: Red Umbrella Project, Bitch Magazine, Winter 2013. Full page spotlight on the Red Umbrella Project.
- Sex Workers Speak Out, AltVariety, September 12, 2012. Profile of RedUP with a focus on our September Red Umbrella Diaries event.
Articles and Stories by RedUP Team Members
- So These Sex Workers Walk Into a Trafficking Conference: Red Umbrella Project at the Toledo International Human Trafficking Conference – essay by Ariel Wolf on Tits & Sass. October 15, 2014.
- What Its Like to Watch Him Die – personal essay by Lily Fury on Salon. February 26, 2014
- Sex Workers Telling Our Stories: From DIY Web Shorts to Feature Documentaries – a guest post by Audacia Ray on the film blog Bitch Flicks. January 31, 2014.
- Canadian Supreme Court Ruling Affirms Human Rights of Sex Workers Dec. 21, 2013 on TruthOut by Kate Zen, while living in Canada. PolicyMic: Why Are Sex Workers Left Out of the Violence Against Women Conversation Mar. 24, 2013, and Prostitutes Are Heroes in the Fight Against HIV/AIDS July 24, 2012. Tits & Sass: UK Merseyside Model against Violence Apr 23, 2013, and U.S. APLO Supreme Court Hearing June 20, 2013. Slixa: Prostitution Diversion Best Practices Aug 21, 2013.
- No Condoms as Evidence: A Sex-Worker Campaign in New York by Audacia Ray (Founder and Director) and Sarah Elspeth Patterson, Research for Sex Work, December 2012.
- Escorting Stacy by Josh Ryley (Memoir Workshop Fall 2012 participant, podcast editor), Narratively, December 2012.